A Boil :)

A Boil :)

Friday, August 19, 2011

Sauces


No one ever gives enough credit to sauce! Can you think of a single meal that does not include or could not be improved with the right sauce? It could be as simple as Maple Syrup or Ketchup or as complex as a nice Beurre Blanc (a hot emulsified Butter Sauce, usually made with Vinegar, white white and shallots with cold butter is blended off the heat to avoid seperation)or a more popular Hollandaise (an emulsion of egg yolk and butter usually sweetened with lemon juice). OR if you are from my neck of the woods you might just want to smother everything with a good gravy, 'round here we do not ask if you would like gravy, we simply ask if you want brown or white!
I always eat a dish and think, this is good but what if I added _______? when I was 16, I was babysitting my youngest brother and for dinner I just pulled all the leftovers out of the fridge so that we could just sort of graze as it were. Well, we had Chinese food with the good red sweet and sour sauce and we had pizza. Sean and I decided to eat both :) So, I just dumped the sweet and sour sauce on everything and heated it up. OMGoodness, that was the best pizza ever, unfortunately you can not buy sweet and sour sauce of that calliber at the grocery store so unless you have just recently had chinese, you will most likely not have such a sauce, so what you ask could be substituted if you find yourself in this conundrum? I would say grape jelly baby!!!!!!! Oh yeah... Try it and tell me what you think.
I would also like to challenge everyone to come up with a dish that they believe is perfect and could not be improved with some sort of wetness, lol

No comments:

Post a Comment